Tuesday 2 June 2009

I survived a ban...

Last Friday, my smallest Second Life shop at a friend's place in Dallows was visited by a Linden (acting on a complaint?)... Result: almost all my products (even my shop sign!) were returned and my account was disabled :-( Since not a single word of explanation was given, I filed a support ticket and asked what happened and why. The same day, I received an email with a long quote from the TOS:

This email is notification that Linden Lab has terminated your access to the Second Life virtual world due to severe or repeated violations of the Second Life Terms of Service or Community Standards. (...) Under our Community Standards policy, real-life images, avatar portrayals, and other depictions of sexual or lewd acts involving or appearing to involve children or minors are not allowed within Second Life.


Now com'on... "sexual or lewd acts"? "severe or repeated violations"? I never received any warnings, so it can't be "repeated", so it must be "severe". OK, there are minors on my posters (hehe, it's me), but never anything sexual... OK, maybe some shota (manga) tshirts are a bit naughty, but those are just funny drawings.

Anyway, I did the only thing I could do: send in an appeal. I wrote a friendly and cooperative request, although I didn't have much trust that it would help. Much to my surprise, I received an email the next day: Linden Labs reviewed my products and they decided to lift my ban. They wrote:

We would ask that you refrain from using what appears to be underage children for modelling potentially sexual items in the future.

OK, sounds fair enough to me. I was not aware of offering any "potentially sexual items", but if a Speedo or undie can be regarded as one, then I will just redo some of the sales posters with some older avatar.

The only thing I feel uncomfortable with is that I still don't fully understand it. How can I be sure that I'm safe now? Don't get me wrong: I'm fully willing to cooperate and comply to the TOS, it's only the subjectiveness of it that worries me. Linden Labs: please give me a warning next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment